Friday, November 12, 2010

Luminaire Project Inspiration-Less Lighting, More Arting

A few more photos I stumbled upon looking up cloud installations and cloud art.





I find the installation to the left very interesting.  I think the artist is following the same idea track that I am with the luminaire, in that we want to create what we cannot actually experience so that we can experience it.  In this case, the artist wanted to build a cloud treehouse/fort/castle, whatever it is, it, at one time, only existed in the mind of the artist.  In my case I wanted to build a cloud.  I've never been able to hold a cloud in my hands, or look at it all around it without flying around it.  Though there are no lights in the piece, it inspires me because of it's scale and the creativity the artist used to create it. 




http://picocool.com/story/title/hand-cut-paper-cloud-artwork


I found the photo to the left interesting because the artist found a way to make the clouds 2D, yet still very full and cloud like.  The depth of the cloud is up to the perception of the viewer, which I enjoy; leaving some of what the viewer is viewing up to interpretation.  





 
http://www.bustler.net/index.php/event/sci_arc_exhibition_iwamotoscott_architecture_voussoir_cloud/








Detail View (Left), Artist working on installation (Right)

The two photos of the installation above are particularly interesting to me because they are made out of wood, which is not an ideal cloud making materials.  The installation was designed by an architect rather than an artist, which makes sense because the cloud is broken down into geometric shapes rather than flowy lines typically categorized with a cloud.



I liked this installation piece because I found it funny.  I have never seen a cloud being held up by anything, much less anything visible to the human eye.  The piece makes me think that everyone needs a little help sometimes, even natural phenomena such as cloud bodies.  

http://www.dsmorris.com/installations.html#img/chandelier_1.jpg

I like this wall sconce installation because it is relevant to the project because it includes light, but I dont think it is intended as a light source.  I think the light is more to highlight that the pages making the shape have words and have information, so as to say after you viewed it once, you should take a step closer and view it again.
http://www.toxel.com/inspiration/2009/01/26/beautiful-umbrella-art-installations/

I found this installation interesting because it is made of umbrellas.  How ironic that someone would make the sky out of something usually used to protect you from the sky.  


All of the websites I visited gave me the same general thoughts; I want to make something more abstract, I want to use other materials, and I want the impression of a cloud, not necessarily a cloud hanging in a room.  Simple right?



1 comment:

  1. who is the artist who made the sculpture you commented saying "I found the photo to the left interesting because the artist found a way to make the clouds 2D, yet still very full and cloud like. The depth of the cloud is up to the perception of the viewer, which I enjoy; leaving some of what the viewer is viewing up to interpretation." Please , i really need to know . Thank you

    ReplyDelete