Thursday, September 1, 2011

New Nametagz

     Beginning a new year in the studio is always enjoyable, and one of the first issues to address is- where the best desk is located, and how attainable that desk may be.  After finding said desk, students find themselves pondering ideas of design tricks and quirky things to bring into the studio, to make it home again  after a long summer away.
    To kick off Visual Communication I, we were asked to create a name tag for a fellow classmate that reflects both their personality and yours.  As well as a name tag for the desk, the creation would also be the blog header for the classmates student blog.  I was assigned Courtney Wilson, and after sitting beside of her for a year last school year, I felt I had a good handle on what Courtney would like.

   



This design was my first attempt.  The materials used are india ink for the name, and watercolor, with colored pencil overlay on the card.












The second design, though similar, did not seem to bode well amongst group discussion.




















After writing Courtney's name every which way in every shape, color, and style a person could think of, I felt mildly stalkerish and at the end of my rope.  So I ditched the ink.


The final product is made of twisted aluminum wire on gel medium painted paper that was left over from studio last year.  The first letters of the names are beaded with small glass beads and the name is secured onto the green paper-cardboard name tag. I felt the colors were soft and accurately represent what Courtney asked for.  It demonstrates the subtle detail that Courtney puts into her work as a designer and the texture of the paper reminds me of the bamboo always floating around her desk....ahh...nostalgia....

No comments:

Post a Comment